Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is Inclusive Tuscany?
Is this a group tour?
Not at all. Inclusive Tuscany is a program specifically designed for small private groups of 4 – 16 friends and family traveling together. Guests are accommodated at our hilltop apartment estate of Il Borgo di Villa Bossi Pucci. Each party visiting Il Borgo will have their own driver and guides in each destination. The dinners at local restaurants are usually at one large table just for your party. Pricing is based on number of guests participating. The larger your group, the lower the price per person. Additional benefits also apply. For example the 16th guest is complimentary with a party of 15 companions. This credit can be split amongst all travelers or be a reward for the group leader for their great idea in putting this trip together! (Airfare excluded.) Often past guests tell us it was like visiting an Italian Family they didn’t know they had. Think of it like renting an Italian Villa in the Tuscan Countryside with your friends and family without having to plan excursions, cook, or drive! Our friends in Tuscany will show you around!
What is included in the week-long Classic Inclusive Tuscany?
Your private group program includes the following:
- Round Trip transfers from and to Florence Train Station (SMN) or Florence Airport. (Other airports available for additional cost)
- 7 nights’ accommodations in lovely, large, Tuscan residences with living room, breakfast kitchen, terraces and stunning valley views of olive groves, vineyards and distant castles – bedrooms can be twin bedded or double bedded, as needed. All bedrooms have own private baths.
- Hairdryers, SAT TV, WiFi, mini-bars, daily housekeeping
- Welcome Reception
- 7 breakfasts served each morning delivered to your rooms by basket
- 7 dinners at local family-owned restaurants including wine*
- 6 daily tours – most with a private city tour included (can be customized upon request)
- Lucca and Pisa
- San Gimignano and Certaldo
- Chianti Wine Country with vineyard visit, tastings and lunch – *counted as one of your main dinners
- Tuscan Cooking Lesson in Il Borgo’s Country Kitchen followed by dinner – *counted as one of your main dinners
- Deluxe air conditioned transportation to all off-site events and dinner locations.
- All taxes and service fees
Our transfers take you into the heart of the towns and cities – but still a fair amount of walking is required. Please let us know at time of booking of any special needs or services may be required.
What are the dates?
The best months to visit are May, June, September and October. Inclusive Tuscany is not usually offered between January and March. We suggest avoiding the warmer months of July and August, as well. Since our programs are for your own private group and are not scheduled departures like most other programs, you can arrive any day of the week as long as we have availability.
Can I request to go to other places?
Private transfers or driver can be arranged for other locations at possible additional costs. For instance, a day trip to the Val d’Orcia, Cortona, Assisi, Perugia and other destinations can be requested in place of or in addition to other excursions.
Location and Transportation
How do I get to Il Borgo?
From Florence, your transfers are included!
The estate of Il Borgo di Villa Bossi Pucci is located in the town of Montagnana just 16 miles south of Florence in the wine growing region of Chianti, Tuscany. The closest airport to Il Borgo is Florence Peretola Airport FLR (also known as Amerigo Vespucci Airport) the main airport of the region of Tuscany. Transfer time is approximately 30 minutes by car.
The closest Train Station is Florence’s main station Santa Maria Novella (SMN) is approximately 30 minutes by car.
Transfers from Florence Airport, Train Station and even hotels if you are already staying in Florence before arriving to Il Borgo are included in the Special, Classic and Deluxe Programs.
Transfers from other cities such as Pisa, Rome, Venice and Milan can be arranged at additional costs, if desired.
Vehicles are deluxe air conditioned 8-passenger vans or deluxe air conditioned 4-door sedans for smaller parties.
Can I rent a car at Il Borgo?
If you prefer to rent a car, the closest rental companies are in Florence. But with all the transportation included, a car is not necessary.
Is there a town within walking distance?
The little town of Montagnana is located just a short walk away down a lighted path thought the olive grove. Here you can find a small market, post office, gas station, cafe, fine dining restaurant and a popular family pizzeria. Operating times vary so always please check before planning your visit. Most businesses are closed in August. Other towns just a short drive away are Montespertoli, Cerbaia, and San Casciano Val di Pesa which has a wonderful historical center.
Is there a full kitchen where we can cook our own meals?
Every casa has what is referred to as a breakfast kitchen equipped with mini refrigerator, small stove and oven, sink, and basic flatware, glasses, cups and plates. Since you are out during the day usually for lunch, and dinners are included each night at local restaurants on most programs, cooking would not be necessary. However, light meals or snacks can be prepared. The seating is typically a small breakfast bar or small patio table for light meals.
Do all the rooms have private baths?
The accommodations at Il Borgo are fully equipped one and two bedroom apartments. All rooms have their own bathroom and some two-story apartments also have an additional half- bath on the ground floor.
Towels, all linens and general toiletries are included. Daily housekeeping is included. Hairdryers are provided. Iron and ironing boards are available upon request. Each casa has direct dial phones and Satellite TV with CNN and other English stations. Please just ask if there is anything you need.
Is there air conditioning?
There is no air conditioning – the property is perched high upon a hill which affords comfortable breezes – and cool nights. (Portable fans are provided in the summer.) Room darkening shutters and thick brick construction help to keep the indoors cool. There are also working fireplaces for cooler seasons.
Is there a place to do laundry?
Laundry service is available for hire at Il Borgo and usually takes approximately 24 hours. There is no self-service laundry. For those guests with a car, there are self-service Laundromats in nearby towns.
Is there internet access?
There is Wi-Fi throughout the estate to connect with your own device free of charge. There is also a computer available for guests to use in the library; however, the keyboard is set up for the Italian language.
No smoking is allowed in any of the apartments. Ashtrays are provided for use outside only on the terrace or balcony. Please consider other guests if smoking in the pool area. We ask of your courtesy for other guests in this respect.
The beautiful pool is open typically from May 15th – Sept 15th or longer if the weather insists! There is no lifeguard on duty. Children are allowed only when accompanied by an adult. There is a shower on the patio for use before entering and upon exiting the pool. No glass allowed in the pool area. The depth is approximately 4.5 feet. No diving please.
Pets are generally not allowed however, service animals are most welcomed. Please contact us directly for more information.
Is Tipping Included?
Taxes and service charges are included in your stay. If you find services to be worthy of an additional compliment, additional gratuities are optional and can be paid directly to the housekeeping staff, driver and guides. If so desired, a general guideline is 1-2 euro per person per day for housekeeping and 3-5 euro per person per day for drivers or guides
What Tours are included?
- There are 6 daily suggested tours included in our Classic Program (final itinerary provided upon arrival)
- Florence – including a visit to the Academia to view Michelangelo’s David
- Siena – See the Piazza del Campo, Duomo, and learn about the neighborhoods the fascinating historical Palio
- Lucca and Pisa – a perfect pair from the charming quiet shop-lined streets of Lucca to the grand Field of Miracles of Pisa including the Leaning Tower, the Baptistery, and Cathedral.
- San Gimignano – the most well-preserved medieval city of towers.
- Chianti Wine Country with vineyard visits and tastings
- Volterra – Ancient Etruscan and Roman ruins abound on the quiet hilltop town of alabaster.
Schedules are finalized the time of your visit to accommodate museum hours, special exhibits, and festivals which can pop up everywhere in Chianti during all seasons.
Is there a guide with you the whole time?
Guided walking tours are usually 2-3 hours in each of the cities or towns – then you are on your own to enjoy the destination at your leisure. Our drivers will be waiting for you at the prearranged time and spot for your transfer back to Il Borgo.
Where are the dinners?
With Inclusive Tuscany, dinners are included at local family-owned restaurants – including appetizers, main entrees, dessert, coffee, and house wine offering well-balanced options at each venue. Most restaurants are within about 10 kilometers of Il Borgo and include van transfers so you can enjoy the wine without worry. Some are located in the historical town centers, some are out in the country, while others are even within walking distance!
Can I order special meals?
Please do let us know in advance of any special dietary needs. We will communicate to each dinner location your requests. It is a good idea to have your dietary needs written in Italian to also present to your wait staff upon arrival.
Is Wine Included?
House wine is included with all dinners – which in Chianti is quite good! If you would like to order a special bottle, you can pay the additional cost separately and enjoy with your included dinner.
What is the Dress Code?
A stay in the countryside means a more relaxed dress code than when in the city. Depending on the season, khakis, polo shirts, light t-shirts or sweaters for men, and capris, skirts, shorts, and light t-shirts or sweaters for women. Comfortable shoes are important for the excursions. Shorts are fine during the summer months, however, appropriate dress must be worn when entering structures of worship – knees, shoulders, and cleavage should be covered. A light scarf can prove to be an indispensable accessory. A light raincoat or windbreaker will also come in handy. Shorts are generally not worn to dinner however, do plan on casual attire when touring and dining in the Tuscan countryside.
Are Classes included?
We typically include a Tuscan Cooking Lesson in Il Borgo’s country kitchen during your stay followed by a fabulous feast, of course! Other classes are offered as an additional enhancement to your immersion into the Tuscan culture and beauty during your stay at Il Borgo. These classes must be requested in advance – are based on availability – and taught by local English-speaking instructors:
- Ceramic Painting Class –Design and paint your own terra cotta piece for the ultimate memento.
- Photographing the Tuscan Landscape
- The Art of Watercolor – plein air painting with local professional instructor
- Art History of the Renaissance –insightful overview of the artistic period of the region.
- Chianti Wine Production and Appreciation – the process and the tasting.
- Italian Language Lessons – Fundamental words and expressions of the melody of Italiano.
What is there to do with free days at Il Borgo?
- Relax by the beautiful pool overlooking groves, vineyards and distant castles
- Enjoy the library full of great pool side reads as well as a wide array of references on Tuscany, Italy and her amazing history.
- Take walks down the country roads to explore ancient castles and churches
- Visit the nearby vineyards and winery of Frescobaldi and Poppiano
- Visit the nearby market where local products are proudly sold – a very short distance by foot
Activities for additional charge – advance reservations required:
- Enjoy a Cooking Lesson, photography, ceramic painting, or Chianti Wine Classes, see more class options above.
- Enjoy and early morning hot air balloon flight
- Go Horseback Riding through the fields of Tuscany
- Visit the Designer Outlet Mall
- Spend the day at a Spa and indulge in a variety of treatments
How do we add in other places before and/or after our stay at Il Borgo?
We highly recommend extending your stay! We have a similar program we offer in the Italian Riviera region including Portofino, Santa Margherita and the Cinque Terre. We are a full service company and can add on stays in Rome, Amalfi Coast, Venice, Milan and the Lake Regions, as well including hotels, trains or car transfers, tours and other sightseeing activities.
Can you stay longer than 7 days?
Our suggested programs are 7 nights with 7 dinners and 6 excursions however, many people prefer to add in a few extra days to spend at leisure at Il Borgo. We balance your free time evenly throughout your stay, as preferred. If you are limited on time and wish to stay less than 7 nights, we can offer a modified program for your party. Just ask!
Please inquire for more information and helpful documents such as our packing suggestions and general know-before-you-go Italy info. We suggest a good guide book for the region of Tuscany to help you make the most of your stay. The library at Il Borgo also has many available for use during your visit.